SEFAA and Seniors
SEFAA is the proud recipient of a Contract For Services grant from Fulton County Arts & Culture. Our project is to design, complete, and exhibit seven wall hangings utilizing multiple fiber art techniques. Each wall hanging will be a collaboration between one instructor and participants from one of the seven Central Fulton County senior centers. Watch this space for project updates!
Goals for the project include:
- Encourage instructor/senior center teams to work collaboratively.
- Encourage seniors to use existing skills and to learn new fiber art techniques.
- Encourage the use of multiple fiber art techniques to combine and best utilize the talents and skills of each team.
- Encourage reuse/re-purposing of materials and "thinking outside the box" to maximize the limited materials budget.
- Provide creative, mental, and fine-motor-skill challenges.
- Create wall hangings representative of, and meaningful to, the seven senior centers.
- Provide a gently competitive atmosphere between the seven senior centers to encourage excellence and project completion.
- Strengthen the partnership between SEFAA and Senior Citizen Services.
- Increase knowledge and appreciation of fiber arts in an underserved community.
- Evaluate the program for possible expansion to North and South Fulton County senior centers.
October 2013 -
- Kickoff meeting with grant instructors, brainstorming session, and evaluation of available materials.
|Instructors from back left: Martha, Joy, Sally, Gretchen and, in the front, Dot.||Raiding the stash!||Sally is happy with her found treasures.|
Dogwood Session #1
Northside Shepherd Session #1
|Clara, Elizabeth, John||Elizabeth and John work on perspective.|
|Jessie May, Viola, and Hilda learn concepts.||Working on perspective.||Sally and Mathew.|
|Sharon and Matthew.|