Please join us for our April Book Club Meeting! We’ll be discussing Textures from Nature in Textile Art: Natural inspiration for mixed-media and textile artists by Marian Jazmik.
Acclaimed textile artist Marian Jazmik combines recycled and repurposed materials with traditional fabric and thread, turning a chance spotting of lichen on a tree trunk or a scattering of autumn leaves into glorious textile or mixed-media art. Her book reveals the secrets of her lushly textured and sculptural embroidered pieces and shares the techniques she uses, including:
- How to begin with photography, homing in on details in nature.
- How to manipulate images to create microscopic and surprising detail.
- How to translate images into 3-D work, using an eclectic mix of natural and man-made textiles, as well as unusual recycled materials otherwise be destined for landfill.
- How to incorporate hand and machine embroidery, dyeing, printing, and painting.
- How to use a heat gun and soldering iron to create heavily textured surfaces.
Packed with practical tips and inspiration and illustrated throughout with glorious examples of Marian’s work, this book will provide you with endless imaginative ideas for incorporating nature into your own textile art.
Register to receive the Zoom meeting link and join us via computer, tablet, or phone. See you there!